Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Owl Incident

Last night my sweet husband informed me that it was my turn to walk the dog.  This has never been an issue until we moved to Wyoming but since winter hit in late September we have been having this battle pretty much regularly.  I put on my snow boots, his government issue super warm gloves, and my coat that has fur around the collar and head making me resemble an Alaskan native but keeping me very warm nonetheless.  I got Jolene and walked outside waiting for the frigid wind to hit me in the face and make me wish I would have put long johns on under my pajama pants but to my surprise last night, there was NO WIND!  This is huge in Wyoming.  It was "feels like 25" degree weather according to the weather channel but with no wind, I was not even cold, well except for a tiny bit on my nose.  I was even able to take my hood off my head and let the fur hang down my back. 

As Jolene and I walked down the street I heard Owls talking to each other all over the base.  Some of them were right above me and as they were calling out over my head I would stop and try very hard to see them in the trees....no such luck.  I walked Jolene for longer than usual since it was nice out and the Owls were providing pretty good entertainment but she decided it was time to go home.  Jolene is older and when she's ready for home, she pulls your arm off trying to get there. 

I never take the back ally behind my house to walk her home at night because there are badgers back there and they come out at night.  I have personally seen them twice and our neighbor's dog got in scuffle with one late one night.  Badgers are nothing to mess with and frankly, they scare me. If only I would have known that a badger should be the least of my worries. 

I turned down the back ally already a little freaked out that we were back there but trying to get my dog home as quickly as possible so she wouldn't choke herself on her leash.  All of the sudden I heard the hooting of an owl right over my head.  I stopped to listen and there it was again but there were no trees where I was.  I looked up and decided that this particular owl must have a nest or be perched in the top of the chimney of the house I was standing behind.  I stood there very still as did Jolene (she must have seen a badger or something) and peered up at the chimney hoping to catch a glimpse of something to prove to me where this owl was.  Well did I mention that I had a big furry hood hanging down my back? 

This owl must have thought that on my back was some sort of rodent because as I stood there perfectly still trying my hardest to see something, a massive owl swooped down off the chimney right towards my head.  All I could think of was that he was about to get in my coat and I would just die of a heart attack right then and there.  The thing swooped down so fast that I heard his wings flap.  Well, what did I do?  What any raving lunatic would, I started screaming and waving my arms while jumping and running all at the same time.  Oh yea, it was a beautiful moment.

I saw a light pop on close to me and got out of there as quickly as possible.  How could I explain this one to the neighbors?  They've probably already seen my kids urinate outside, I didn't want to add raving lunatic to their checklist of why we are "those neighbors".

Wyoming truly is the Wild west!  Also, have no worries, when I walked Jolene this morning, there were no owls but PLENTY of wind!

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha........I would have given ANYTHING to have seen this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo funny but I'm glad it all worked out ok!

    ReplyDelete