Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Clara Bell Gober Tyson May...kinda has a ring to it...


Well, today is the 2nd anniversary of my grandmother's passing. It was a horrific day and I feel that I am traumatized by it. I had nightmares all night long and couldn't sleep but I am blogging today not about her death but about the tremendous life she lead.

Its funny to me how when you think of a grandmother you think of a sweet little old lady. Well, let me tell you, my Granny was NOT that! She was kind but she was strong. She was pretty, not in the dainty grandmotherly way but in the way that happens when you have a life full of laughter and hard times all mixed together. She had strong shoulders, a strong back, and thick skin. She had salt and pepper hair that was more pepper than salt and kind eyes. She was a TRUE southern woman. She had an infectious smile and mischievous look about her as if she knew that life was far more worth while if you had a little unconventional fun. She could read emotions and knew when one of her children, grandchildren, or great grandchildren was sad, happy, excited or up to no good. She had a way about her that can never be replaced but will always be cherished.

Granny out-lived two husbands and her baby girl and yet she still always had laughter curling her lips and found joy in the life with her remaining family. I didn't want this to really read like a tribute or memorial. If I were to decide to write one of those about my granny then it would take months of writing, rewriting and then finally I would probably trash the whole thing because how do you write something about one of the most amazing people you have ever had the priviledge to know? The simplicity of it is this: when the weather is really bad, I cry because I know my Granny would be blowing up my phone to tell me to stay at home and turn on the news, when its a beautiful day with awesome weather I think of Granny because it was days like those that I loved to go to her house, drink coffee and sit out by her pond just chatting; well, mostly listening and laughing. I will miss her always, but I know that reunion she had with her little girl and the love of her life was so incredible and I am so happy that she is praising our Lord and Creator for healing her of cancer and allowing her to have such a fulfilled life, and she gets to do it face to face! WOW!

At her graveside my oldest sister, Terri, and my cousin, Sydney and I sang "In The Garden". I had read a story once where it said when the wind blows at a funeral you know it is the spirit of the person who has passed away letting you know that they appreciate what you are doing and are in a better place. Well, as my sister and cousin and I sang that song, a strong wind blew through the tent and almost knocked the pole out of the ground. I had to smile because if Granny was going to let us know that she was there, she wouldn't just let a breeze kiss our cheeks, she would make a statement with it. Maybe it was just a windy day, but I like to think it was her, letting me know she was there.

I love you Granny, you will forever be in my heart and a part of who I am. I hope to make you proud in all of my endeavors.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful way to remember Granny. She was an incredible and strong woman. Not afraid to love us one second and then punish us the next if we deserved it.
    As a 7 year old, it was over my head, but at 33, i look back at how she accepted this new instant grandson into her heart and home. she loved me despite my faults (and who my father is). i wish i had not been a stranger to the family for so many years, but consider myself blessed to have had her back in my life her last few months.
    she was,is and will always be a wonderful example of how one shows unconditional love. i miss you.
    Love
    gabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd gotten to know your Granny, Leigh. I can tell from reading this what a special woman she was and how much you loved her.

    ReplyDelete